At 3.15am on Tuesday 9 February we scrambled out of bed in time to meet other ‘climate angels’ from the Pilliga Push camp on the Newell Highway 6kms northwards. From there it was about a 45-minute drive to Santos’ Narrabri Gas Project that is constructing 850 coal...
Heralding the start of a global wave of resistance to keep coal, oil & gas in the ground, on the eve of Mother's Day 2016 in the hottest year in recorded history, flocks of Climate Guardian Mother-Angels descended on the offices of Federal Ministers for...
The Climate Guardians had a wonderful time on Sunday meeting both young people and caring grown ups at Templestowe College’s Sustainability Festival. We chose this inspiring community occasion to officially launch our #KeepYourPromise campaign, which demands that...
Coal Digger CO2 Coral Bleach and her daughter Bianca Bleach (who only tantrum threatens to sue when not snorting) joined Barnaby Coalala to raise $$$s at the exclusive (read secretive) Kooyong 200 Club. The BUMS* called on Josh Frydenberg to ignore the ideological...
In Australia, we’re not really aware enough of the qualities of water and even though we’re a country stricken with drought [among major city dwellers] there isn’t a lot of awareness of the fragility and politics of water. (Janet Laurence, 2016) In terms of strategic...
Of all of the incredible and unforgettable actions taken in Paris during COP21, the Climate Guardians’ experiences delivering messages on behalf of Australian children were highlights. Here and in France, not a single person has failed to be moved by the poignancy of...
See coverage and videos here: http://www.northerndailyleader.com.au/story/3715013/where-climate-guardian-angels-didnt-fear-to-tread/
Of COP21, James Hansen, NASA’s former chief climatologist, said: “It’s a fraud really, a fake. It’s just bullshit for them to say: ‘We’ll have a 2C warming target and then try to do a little better every five years.’ It’s just worthless words. There is no action, just...
2015 was a big year for the Climate Guardians, especially with our big adventure in Paris for the international UN climate summit COP21 in November and December. We are still going through all of the memories and images that have been created, but in the meantime here...
Early on Christmas Eve 2015 Santa and a bevy of pin-up elves got stuck on the Minister Who Stole Christmas' rooftop Santa and his elves have got stuck on the Minister for the Environment, Greg Hunt’s, rooftop to protest his approval of the Abbot Point coal port. Just...
Digging Deeper: Secrets of the Neo-COALonial Movement Unearthed! live on stage
Digging Deeper is a satirical exploration of the ties between billionaires, dictators, aggressive ‘fake news’ assaults on democracy and human and environmental abuse. None of that is at all funny, but this show is!
Revealing the forces behind Australia’s 20-year war on the climate, on native species, and the Great Barrier Reef, exposing the deep ties between global ‘fossilgarchs’*, ‘political donations’, conflicted decision makers, and casino capitalism, this production is the first staged work in the comic cabaret tradition offering by ClimActs – a performative activist group usually seen intercepting polluter-friendly politicians and fossil fuel financiers.
Under the direction of their powerfully effluent CE0² Coral Bleach, ClimActs’ Coal Diggers have made a name for themselves in the media through crashing high level ministerial events of Josh Frydenberg and Greg Hunt, and by “surprising” guests at Gina Rinehart’s gala event (including politicians who tried to sneak past them and police officers hurriedly called to the scene) with their subversive brand of performance art.
Digging Deeper is a staged platform for Australia’s peskiest and proudest climate performance-blockaders to sing, dance, crash, yell and share their thoughts to a (potentially) more receptive audience than the parliamentarians, oligarchs and press that are usually running away from them. This work is part of an ongoing series of rapid response ‘fast and furious’ climate related performances to raise awareness and stimulate public discussions about the root causes of rising inequity and environmental degradation.
Speaking up for young people who will bear the brunt of Australia’s appalling climate policies, Digging Deeper’s cast includes Hunter Stanford and Zachary Hart, a couple of exceptionally accomplished young actors from graduating Class of 2018.
Whether it’s hustling on the red carpet in Paris with global high flying climate denier Lord Monckton, or addressing Canberra’s ‘Fake News’ Media Pack at Australia’s Parliament house on Day One of the Abbott Government’s reign, ClimActs AKA The Coal Diggers are dedicated to making a splash (and to making the world a better place).
Digging Deeper opens on Monday March 18th with a limited season of just five performances until Saturday 23rd March 2019. Bookings recommended.
* Advisor to the Director of Russia’s Ministry for Truth 💰
^ Medieval Geographer from the Frackers’ Guild of the Universitarse of Climatastropharse (est 1235 AD) 💣
Show Details: Digging Deeper: Secrets of the Neo-COALonial Movement Unearthed!
Dates: 18th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, and 23rd March 2019 at 7pm
Venue: The Butterfly Club, 5 Carson Place, Melbourne
Media contact for interview arrangements, high-res photos, bios and further info:
Publicity and Media Manager
The Butterfly Club
A brief history of ClimActs’ ‘interventions’ and commissions:
- ClimActs is a politically strategic, voluntary-run Australian performance collective using striking visual spectacle and satire to communicate the urgent need for the world to respond to grave threats from climate change, for more visit climacts.org.au
- ClimActs presents spectacle and satire acts including the internationally celebrated Climate Guardians, Coal Diggers, Medieval Astronomers from the Flat Earth Institute of the Universitarse of Climatastropharse (est 1033AD), Steampunk Resurrectionists from the Frackers Guild, and Cyber-Coal Operatives from the Hackers Guild.
- Since forming in 2013, in various guises, ClimActs players have intercepted many notable climate spoilers including Tony Abbott, Lord Monckton, Julie Bishop, Josh Frydenberg, Greg Hunt, Clive Palmer, Alexander Downer, and Michael O’Brien.
- With utmost respect and compassion for how Parisians were feeling following the brutal Friday 13 terrorist attacks in Paris, Climate Guardians defied the State of Emergency declaration that strictly limited civil society movements, including public protesting, during COP21, December 2015.
- Coal Diggers welcomed guests at The Heartland Institute’s counter-COP21 conference at the Hotel California in Paris in the lead up to the Paris Agreement, December 2015
- Climate Guardians appeared in international news (particularly in the US) when they blockaded the well-disguised VIP entrance of Brisbane’s G20, for which the Climate Guardians earned the Courier Mail’s ‘Most Aussie Moment’ after agreeing to end their three and a half hour ‘visitation’ in exchange for a lift to the pub of their choice, November 2014. Read our blog: Climate Guardians blockade Brisbane’s G20.
- Coal Diggers gleefully ‘ambushed’ (according to the Herald Sun) the then soon to be PM Tony Abbott and Deputy PM Julie Bishop on the Federal election campaign trail, September 2013
- ClimActs has also performed as guest artists at Australian and international festivals including staging the opening performance art piece for the Lorne Sculpture Biennale 2014, two performances for the City of Ballarat’s Interventions (2014), four performances for the City of Ballarat’s Winter Laneway Festival (2015), at ArtCOP21(Paris, 2015), at the Sydney Lord Mayor’s special Preview Opening of Janet Laurence’s H2O Water Bar (Paddington Reservoir, Sydney, 2016), the Greenwich+Docklands International Festival (UK, 2016), the Australian Performing Arts Centres Associations (APACA) Conference/PAX (2016), the Biennale of Australian Art (BOAA) in Ballarat (2018), and at the launch of Janet Laurence: After Nature at the Museum of Contemporary Art Australia (2019).