Is “democracy” (chortle!) standing in the way of your unlimited financial ambitions? Call the Hackers Guild on 1800 666 666 now! Having trouble getting approval to frack or mine nature reserves, National Parks, sacred sites or pesky farmers’ land? The Hackers’ Guild...
Your Taxes @ Work
Backed by neo-heavyweights, including BUMS* CEO2 Coral Bleach, Michelle & Vanessa Guthrie (no relation) have united on the ABC's board to usher in a new era of ‘balance’ from the public broadcaster! Ever since Ruppie’s daddy Keith helped found the Institute of...
Climate Guardians Descend on US Consulate Melbourne
As the new US Republican Administration’s assaults on human rights and environmental protections continue to mount, they're being met with ongoing and unprecedented demonstrations of determined resistance. Last monday’s ‘Presidents Day’ 2017 (20th February) saw...
The Clean Coal Fairy™ (every polluter’s fantasy)
Federal Cabinet Ministers fondling lumps of coal in parliament is all the evidence needed to prove that digging & dealing & burning is what makes Australia the truly greatest quarry in the world. To unequivocally allay the doubts of any deniers out there, the...
‘Coal by Josh and Matt’ (and Malcolm) grades high-rank
Dear Poet, Thank you for submitting to ClimAct’s inaugural Pen a Coal Poem for Christmas Competition. In case you didn’t read the automated disclaimer carefully—as Gina’s A1-devotee—Coral Bleach's Our Profits was always entitled to win. Like Gina, Coral must always...
Our Auntie is Not a Murdoch
The tried and tested means of transferring invaluable public assets—assets that were established by generations of citizens—into private hands goes like this: Proclaim that the nation’s budget is out of control and cut taxes for corporations and the wealthiest people...
Announcing ClimActs’ inaugural ‘Pen a Coal Poem for Christmas’ Competition!
Do you have what it takes to win ClimActs' Coal Poems for Christmas Competition inspired by the universe's worst poem (so far)? Criteria: in 150 words or less, poetically (and satirically) serenade ordinary folk about the virtues of fossil fuels and mining through the...
Crashing the IPA’s Coalabration!
As always, the latest Institute of Public Affairs gala was a glorious occasion for us billionaire miners! We hobble-knobbled among corporate global giants including Texas Public Policy Foundation & Koch Brothers funded Chuck DeVore whose advice to the rapturous...
From ashes to ashes, bye bye Hazelwood. Finally
Hazelwood fired up on the eve of the inaugural UN 'Earth Summit' (1972). Ironically it was at this Summit that the first UN declaration was made re addressing the seriousness of climate change. The old and decrepit Hazelwood is an appalling polluter. It has long been...
Climate Guardians Honoured with an Environment Victoria Community Environment Recognition Award
It was a great honour for Climate Guardians to be among the community groups to receive an Environment Victoria award last night. During nearly four years of portending we’ve been graced with the presence of more angels than we can count, and they’ve come from nearly...
Digging Deeper: Secrets of the Neo-COALonial Movement Unearthed! live on stage
Digging Deeper is a satirical exploration of the ties between billionaires, dictators, aggressive ‘fake news’ assaults on democracy and human and environmental abuse. None of that is at all funny, but this show is!
Revealing the forces behind Australia’s 20-year war on the climate, on native species, and the Great Barrier Reef, exposing the deep ties between global ‘fossilgarchs’*, ‘political donations’, conflicted decision makers, and casino capitalism, this production is the first staged work in the comic cabaret tradition offering by ClimActs – a performative activist group usually seen intercepting polluter-friendly politicians and fossil fuel financiers.
Under the direction of their powerfully effluent CE0² Coral Bleach, ClimActs’ Coal Diggers have made a name for themselves in the media through crashing high level ministerial events of Josh Frydenberg and Greg Hunt, and by “surprising” guests at Gina Rinehart’s gala event (including politicians who tried to sneak past them and police officers hurriedly called to the scene) with their subversive brand of performance art.
Digging Deeper is a staged platform for Australia’s peskiest and proudest climate performance-blockaders to sing, dance, crash, yell and share their thoughts to a (potentially) more receptive audience than the parliamentarians, oligarchs and press that are usually running away from them. This work is part of an ongoing series of rapid response ‘fast and furious’ climate related performances to raise awareness and stimulate public discussions about the root causes of rising inequity and environmental degradation.
Speaking up for young people who will bear the brunt of Australia’s appalling climate policies, Digging Deeper’s cast includes Hunter Stanford and Zachary Hart, a couple of exceptionally accomplished young actors from graduating Class of 2018.
Whether it’s hustling on the red carpet in Paris with global high flying climate denier Lord Monckton, or addressing Canberra’s ‘Fake News’ Media Pack at Australia’s Parliament house on Day One of the Abbott Government’s reign, ClimActs AKA The Coal Diggers are dedicated to making a splash (and to making the world a better place).
Digging Deeper opens on Monday March 18th with a limited season of just five performances until Saturday 23rd March 2019. Bookings recommended.
* Advisor to the Director of Russia’s Ministry for Truth 💰
^ Medieval Geographer from the Frackers’ Guild of the Universitarse of Climatastropharse (est 1235 AD) 💣
Show Details: Digging Deeper: Secrets of the Neo-COALonial Movement Unearthed!
Dates: 18th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, and 23rd March 2019 at 7pm
Venue: The Butterfly Club, 5 Carson Place, Melbourne
Media contact for interview arrangements, high-res photos, bios and further info:
Publicity and Media Manager
The Butterfly Club
A brief history of ClimActs’ ‘interventions’ and commissions:
- ClimActs is a politically strategic, voluntary-run Australian performance collective using striking visual spectacle and satire to communicate the urgent need for the world to respond to grave threats from climate change, for more visit climacts.org.au
- ClimActs presents spectacle and satire acts including the internationally celebrated Climate Guardians, Coal Diggers, Medieval Astronomers from the Flat Earth Institute of the Universitarse of Climatastropharse (est 1033AD), Steampunk Resurrectionists from the Frackers Guild, and Cyber-Coal Operatives from the Hackers Guild.
- Since forming in 2013, in various guises, ClimActs players have intercepted many notable climate spoilers including Tony Abbott, Lord Monckton, Julie Bishop, Josh Frydenberg, Greg Hunt, Clive Palmer, Alexander Downer, and Michael O’Brien.
- With utmost respect and compassion for how Parisians were feeling following the brutal Friday 13 terrorist attacks in Paris, Climate Guardians defied the State of Emergency declaration that strictly limited civil society movements, including public protesting, during COP21, December 2015.
- Coal Diggers welcomed guests at The Heartland Institute’s counter-COP21 conference at the Hotel California in Paris in the lead up to the Paris Agreement, December 2015
- Climate Guardians appeared in international news (particularly in the US) when they blockaded the well-disguised VIP entrance of Brisbane’s G20, for which the Climate Guardians earned the Courier Mail’s ‘Most Aussie Moment’ after agreeing to end their three and a half hour ‘visitation’ in exchange for a lift to the pub of their choice, November 2014. Read our blog: Climate Guardians blockade Brisbane’s G20.
- Coal Diggers gleefully ‘ambushed’ (according to the Herald Sun) the then soon to be PM Tony Abbott and Deputy PM Julie Bishop on the Federal election campaign trail, September 2013
- ClimActs has also performed as guest artists at Australian and international festivals including staging the opening performance art piece for the Lorne Sculpture Biennale 2014, two performances for the City of Ballarat’s Interventions (2014), four performances for the City of Ballarat’s Winter Laneway Festival (2015), at ArtCOP21(Paris, 2015), at the Sydney Lord Mayor’s special Preview Opening of Janet Laurence’s H2O Water Bar (Paddington Reservoir, Sydney, 2016), the Greenwich+Docklands International Festival (UK, 2016), the Australian Performing Arts Centres Associations (APACA) Conference/PAX (2016), the Biennale of Australian Art (BOAA) in Ballarat (2018), and at the launch of Janet Laurence: After Nature at the Museum of Contemporary Art Australia (2019).